Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Medina from afar

Now that I have had lots and lots and lots of sleep, I can finally put sentences together properly, I think. Looking back from a warm home, contented hounds, and peanut butter (which they do not have in Medina del Campo...someone should have told me!!!!), I wanted to share some thoughts about the trip.

We knew that the Spanish culture did not value dogs the way that we do, but it was still a shock to see that in action. At best, we were told, the Spanish view dogs as a convenience, something nice to have around. At worst, dogs are looked at as disposable...to be used and then killed without much thought, because well, that's the way it is. While groups like the ASPCA have been around in the states for many years, Fermin Perez told us that he was the first to bring to light the plight of galgos in Spain, and Scooby is only 20 years old.

Sami and I saw nearly 300 dogs at Scooby, about 95% of them galgos. We also saw cats, sheep, mules, horses, and other animals. All of them found refuge at Scooby after being returned or rescued by the organization. Some are brought in by gypsies...but only if the animal is injured or old or no longer useful...why should they keep it then? One day Sami and Sandra, our wonderful tour guide, helper, and friend, went to chase a galgo they found standing on the side of the road. This poor galgo had part of its leg gone and was bleeding, but being so scared of humans, it immediately took off, although all Sandra and Sami wanted to do was to help it. Can you imagine that fear? Even I, with two galgos who were extremely afraid, have a hard time imagining that degree of fear and the circumstances that caused it.

This is not meant to be a rant against any culture or country. Things are what they are. If anything, it is an accolade towards Scooby. The work that they do is incredible. Fermin told us that things are slowly changing, awareness is slowly arising, and attitudes are slowly being chipped away. It will be a long road, but Scooby has started people walking on it, and that is the case. I can happily report that last year, Scooby found homes for 500 of those galgos.

I can't say that a visit to Scooby will be in my plans for the near future, not until my bank account restores and my anger at Delta at JFK dissipates, but they have got a lock on my heart. They will get my support from afar, and I will work tirelessly to strengthen the ties between it and GAA. From the very skinny mommas who made me love them from day 1 to the puppies who thought my shoes were wonderful chew toys, the impressions are indelible and the memories permanent.

Especially around this time, some are happy to point out all that is wrong with us as a nation. I'd like to point out one thing that is right. We love our dogs, whether they be needle nosed or snubbed nose, whether they can run 45 mph or 1 mph, we love them. The Scooby trip was a reminder to me that not everyone does, and that we need to be very grateful of those organizations like Scooby that show that caring is still alive and well. Hug your hounds, folks, and if you can, add another one to your family. There are just too many out there who need homes and need to experience the love that we, as a people, show we can give.

Here are some more photos from Scooby....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15764924@N07/sets/72157612271824939/show/

1 comment:

  1. Great post. We certainly need to rethink our relationship with non-human animals and how we view them.

    The difficult situation of most galgos in Spain muste be told. I hope this changes soon as Spanish people changes their minds about galgos and other non-human animals. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete